Service Department FAQ
1-My Tire Pressure Monitoring Light came on – what do I do?
– Get out of your vehicle, walk around and inspect all 4 of your tires.
– If you find a tire that is completely flat call Road Side Assistance 1-800-411-6688 or a Tow Truck and have your vehicle towed to our dealership. Alternatively, if your car has a spare tire you can put this on and drive the flat tire to our dealership for inspection and repair.
– If upon inspection you don’t find noticeable issues with your tires go to the closest gas station and set all 4 of your tires to the correct pressure. You can find your recommended tire pressure on the driver’s side door jam. Once you have set the pressure on all 4 tires you will need to reset the warning light. Watch the following video on how this can be done:
2-What’s an Ad Blue warning light? What do I need to know about it?
AdBlue is a liquid solution of urea (the stuff found in urine), and when it meets a hot exhaust system it releases ammonia which is a catalyst to a chemical reaction that converts dangerous Nitrogen Oxides into two harmless products – water vapor and Nitrogen. Both products occur naturally, and so can be pumped out of an AdBlue equipped car without any ill effects. Here’s what you need to know about this system:
– Most Diesel VW’s have a 20 Litre tank of Ad Blue that lasts about 15,000km on average before it needs to be filled (dependant on driving habits.) This tank gets topped up at your 15,000km interval services with Vancouver VW. If you aren’t servicing regularly with us or staying on top of the volume of this tank you will get a warning light.
– All Diesel VW’s that have an Ad Blue system will warn you with a 2000km radius warning that you are starting to run low on Ad Blue fluid.
You will not be able to start your vehicle if you are out of Ad Blue- so you will want to deal with this warning light promptly.
– For all 2015 VW Diesels and newer: If you see the 2000km warning light and continue driving to the point where it drops below a 1000km warning light this light will not go off by topping up with Ad Blue. You will have to come into the dealership to have the warning light removed. So if you see the 2000km warning light top up as soon as possible (before the 1000KM warning) or come into the dealership to have it done, this will save you money!!
– For all 2009-2014 Touareg Diesels and 2012-2014 Passat Diesels: If your Ad Blue warning light comes on you MUST come into the dealership to have it reset. Unfortunately, once you see this light come on you won’t be able to remove it by topping up your Ad Blue. For this reason, we highly recommend monitoring your Ad Blue levels on a regular basis especially at every 12,000KM. If you keep it full you will avoid the light from going on which will save you a trip to the dealership.
3-My Check Engine Light came on, what do I do?
– If you have a flashing engine light pull over immediately, turn off your vehicle and contact Road Side Assitance 1-800-411-6688 to have your vehicle towed to Vancouver Volkswagen.
– If it’s a solid (not flashing) engine light pull over and give our service department a call 604-872-5431. In most cases, your car may still be driveable.
5-My Check Coolant Light came on, what do I do?
Turn off your vehicle. Make sure it is parked on a level ground. Open up your hood and check your coolant level. If your coolant is low top it up. If your engine is hot do not open your coolant reservoir lid. Allow time for it to cool down.
If your coolant level seems fine and your Check Coolant Light is still on, contact our service department (604-872-5431.)
4-What you need to know about the battery in your key.
Most newer VW vehicles will have a warning light if your key battery is running low.
Some common signs of low battery: Having issues unlocking your vehicle via keyless entry. You cant lock/unlock your VW from as far away as you could a few months ago.
If this is happening come into the dealership- we will give you a free battery.
If you think the battery in your key is fully dead here is what you can do:
Enter the car manually. For push start vehicles you will still be able to start your car! Head to Vancouver VW for a free battery! Watch the short how-to video below for manually entry/ starting your vehicle(including push start):
5-What is your policy on Service Rental Vehicles? Do you have a shuttle service?
We’ve got Rental Vehicles available @ $35/day that need to be booked in advance. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee availability but we always do our best to ensure our customers who require one get one.
Alternatively, we have a complimentary service shuttle that runs daily. This operates on a first come first serve basis and runs through the local Vancouver area. The first shuttle leaves daily @ 7:45 AM and the next 15 minutes later. Pickup can also be organized via the shuttle service.